Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Vaitape, Bora Bora

April 20, 2016

We actually arrived in Bora Bora last night around 10:30.  I was working on the blog and all of a sudden there was a lot of shaking and mechanical noises.  I rushed to the window to see if I could see anything and realized we were stopped.  The noises I had heard was the ship anchoring.

My tour met at 7:30 in the Pinnacle Bar (which is close to the stairs/elevators that lead down to A deck where you get on the tenders).  We were ready to go by 7:50.  35 had signed up but three decided to cancel.  The tender ride took about 10 minutes.  We met the rep from the company, Maohi Nui (often referred to as Patrick's), and each paid our money.  The various outrigger canoes pulled up around the harbor and we were off about 8:30.

We were unable to go out to one snorkeling area because of the weather.  Just as the last few days, the forecast called for off and on rain.  Our first stop was in an area where the water was only about 4 feet.  This was where we could see the black tip reef sharks and sting rays.  The guides brought fish to feed the rays (which also attracted the sharks) so they were swimming all around us.  Unfortunately, my underwater pictures were horrible - mostly out of focus, showing only the bottom half of people, or part of a sting ray.  I did not get any pictures of the sharks.  Note to self - buy an inexpensive underwater camera if I ever plan to snorkel again.

We then passed some of the very expensive (thousands of dollars a night in many cases) hotels that have bungalows over the water.  Our second stop was in deeper water.  Again no decent pictures except a few that I took from the boat (the water was so clear you could actually see the fish).

It was then time for lunch on Patrick's motu (small island).  The setting was beautiful, the food was good and the sun even co-operated by shining through the clouds.  Lunch included suckling pig, chicken with local spinach, manioc, plantain bananas, bread fruit, raw fish salad with coconut milk, three kinds of fresh grilled fish, and a dessert made with bananas and vanilla, as well as fresh tropical fruits.  The meal was eaten island style on leaves with our fingers.  The chicken and pork were delicious.  There was also wine, beer, and soft drinks.  After lunch, Patrick twirled the fire baton.

Nobody really wanted to leave the motu - it really did look like paradise - but we finally had to.  On the way back to port we went through a couple of showers but once we docked there was a downpour.  We had to wait in line for a few minutes to get on a tender back to the ship but I was back in my cabin by 2 pm.

After a shower to get that very salty water off, I checked out my pictures and just hung out in my cabin.  About four I realized I was hungry so I got a salad in the Lido and read.  I had already decided I was too tired to change for dinner (I know I don't have to, but I like dressing to eat in the MDR).  I saw Heinz (one of my tablemates) and told him I wasn't going to be there.

Culinary Trivia was at five.  Today's topic was Beer, Wine, and Cocktails.  Susie had been at Happy Hour and gotten two drinks of the day, so she brought me the second (it was good).  Susie and I played and we tied another team with 9.  We actually won the tie-breaker (Susie knew the answer) so we got another South Pacific pin.

1.Red Stripe beer is from what country?
2.Which country drinks the most beer per capita?
3.What rum, lime, and sugar drink takes its name from a town near Santiago, Cuba?

I decided on pizza to finish off my dinner.  It was four cheese pizza, exactly as I like.  I finished reading my fourth book and put it in the book exchange when I went to the Crow's Nest for trivia.

We had six playing and had 10 out of 16.  The artichokes had 9 so we won!  Ann commented, "We puréed the artichokes!"

1.Which two oceans are linked by the Bering Strait?
2.Which European car company was the first to make seat belts standard in 1957?
3.What appropriate title is given to the head of the PEZ candy company?
4.What is the only official currency of the British Virgin Islands?

After trivia I decided it was time for my daily ration of ice cream so back to the Lido.  When I got there I decided to try the rum cake Susie had said was so good instead of ice cream. She was right about the cake.

Last activity of the day was Name That Tune in the Northern Lights.  The topic was The Beatles.  The winners had all 15 correct, we had 12.

There was no show tonight.  Instead they showed the movie "Creed".





Some of the overwater bungalows at the hotels




Homes along the coast or in the water


Old US Navy bunker (used by locals in storms - there are about 40 around the area)


One of the mountains


Paddling along



Pictures continue on next entry

Culinary trivia
1.Jamaica
2.Germany
3.daiquiri

Evening trivia
1.Arctic and Pacific
2.Volvo
3.Pezident
4.US$

Smooth sailing until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment