Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Thursday, April 28, 2016

At Sea


April 27, 2016

As I was getting ready to leave my cabin this morning there was a "Bright Star" call (medical emergency) to a cabin just a few doors down.  When I left the cabin there were at least six officers around the cabin door.  Hopefully, it was not anything too serious.

About seven for Sit and Stitch today (we had to move because a large group of German speaking people (we have a number of Swiss as well as some German onboard) getting directions on arriving in San Diego.

I left about 11:15 to change into my bathing suit.  The "King Neptune Ceremony" (also known as "Crossing the Line") was to be at 1 p.m. and I figured I would be cooler in my bathing suit.  After lunch in the Lido I went out to claim a spot by the Seaview Pool.  I arrived just after noon and I was only able to get a second row seat.  The good part was that it had grown overcast and it was not nearly as hot or muggy as the last few days.  I sat and finished reading my book while waiting.

This was my third ceremony but it is fun to watch the "pollywogs" (those who had not crossed the equator before) be judged by King Neptune, kiss the fish and then get mucked up with all sorts of nasty smelling food products before being pushed in the pool or having to sit and let the stuff dry on them.  Once it is over, they are officially "shellbacks".  There were pirates to make sure the pollywogs did not escape judgement (and also to dump ice on them).  On HAL only members of the crew take part in the ceremony while on Cunard some passengers can actually take part.

Since the Seaview pool was now a mess, I went to the Lido pool.  The water was sloshing nicely in the pool and it was quite warm - I stayed in about 45 minutes.  Since it was overcast it was cool enough to sit and listen to some music on my MP3 player without broiling.

There were six of us for evening trivia (no afternoon trivia because of the ceremony and a wine tasting scheduled at the same time).  We had 12 correct but the artichokes won with 13.

1.On what day of the week was John Lennon killed?
2.What was Mother Theresa's given name?
3.What do you call a cluster of bananas?
4.What is the text of an opera called?
5.What is the first word in "Citizen Kane"?

All seven of us were present for dinner.  I had pork loin which I left most of because it was very fatty.  The strawberry sundae was delicious, however.

I went to the show which featured Dick Hardwick, a comedian/musician.  He was actually funny and I don't care for many comedians.

We lose another hour tonight.


The fish was a moon fish that had been caught in Papeete


The officers who stayed far enough away to make sure they did not get thrown in the pool




Two pictures of the pollywogs getting slimed with goo, some of which was made with eggs and ground up fish (no wonder they smelled so bad!)


Jorge really did not want to kiss the fish


King Neptune, his queen and one of the Pirates


Judge Mario


A mermaid, the fish, King Neptune, the Queen, and Mario
(Don't know the woman getting her picture taken with them)

Evening trivia
1.Monday
2.Agnes
3.a hand
4.libretto
5.Rosebud


Smooth sailing until next time! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kathi, I love the crossing the line ceremony. On Cunard, as you know, quite often the Captain gets "dunked". It is great fun isn't it? Do hope you have enjoyed your cruise. I am assuming that it is probably coming to an end soon. Love Pat xx

    ReplyDelete