Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Taiohae, Nuku Hiva

April 25, 2016

Today was another one of those days that I can say, "Been there, done that, don't need to do it again."  But more on that later.

We were supposed to arrive at 10 am and my tour was supposed to start on the dock at 10:30.  Since the long wait a couple of days ago for a tender, I was afraid I would not be able to make it.  So, last night I had talked with some Cruise Critic friends who were on an earlier tour to see if they could take me with them on the early tender.  That was no problem.

As it turned out we arrived much earlier at about 8 am.  Going over with my friends I actually arrived on the dock about 9:15.  The island had just finished building a shelter (last Friday) with benches so I was able to sit in the shade (yes, I said shade - the sun shone all day!) with a nice breeze until we were ready to go.

There were supposed to be 22 of us but a few did not show.  There were also a few who had booked separately.  Because we were in a group, our tour was 6500 xpf (French Polynesian francs) or about $65.  Those who booked on their own paid 7500 xpf.  The ship was charging $129.95 for their tour that did not include all the scenic spots ours did.

There are no large tour buses on the island (there are no large roads) so almost all the tours are done in people's personal 4-wheel drive vehicles.  Most tours went with about five vehicles and one English speaking guide.  We would go to a viewpoint, every one would get out of the vehicles and listen to the guide.  Then back into the vehicles and repeat.  Many of the vehicles were high off the ground and I would not recommend this for anyone with knee problems or back problems because the roads are fairly bumpy.  Also if you get motion sickness you might not want to try it because there are many hairpin turns as you wind your way up and down the mountains.

One of the views we had was where one of the tribes was located when Survivor: Marquesas was filmed here a number of years ago.

We went to one ancient site that I was not going to go to because the ground was very uneven and you had to cross a bridge made with four large logs strapped together.  One of the vehicle drivers said no, I had to go and she held my hand and helped me across the bridge and up and down the large stepping stones.

Before heading back we had a bathroom break and a chance to buy a cold drink (did I mention it was hot and muggy?).  Our last stop was at the Roman Catholic cathedral.  Although cannibalism has been practiced in the Marquesas up to at least 20 years ago, the majority of people were converted to Catholicism by missionaries in the 1800s.

I am glad I took the tour because the views were unbelievable but I don't think I will ever feel the need to go inland if I come here again.

I waited in line about 20 minutes for a tender to return to the ship (there is only room for one tender to tie up at a time).  I was the next to the last person to get off the tender and the lady in front of me fell badly as she was getting back on the ship.  It took a few minutes to get her up (she uses a walker) and I was a bit surprised that they did not take her name and cabin number.  I realize that somewhere in all the small print of the contract you sign away your rights but even still it might have been good relations to at least call her later and ask how she was.

I was back on board about 4:15 and hungry so I decided to give the Dive-in a try.  Many people on Cruise Critic love the burgers and fries - I only find them so-so.  Today, however, I was so tired and hungry they tasted good.  I grabbed an ice cream cone before heading for a cool shower.

I dragged myself to trivia although I could easily have fallen asleep instead.  Six of us played but we only had 11 correct.  Three teams tied with 12 with the artichokes ultimately winning.

1.What polar animal got its name from the Swedish words for "horse" and "whale"?
2.Which nation produces more Major League Baseball players per capita than any other?
3.What organization did the USSR start to counter NATO?
4.Who was the first actor to sign a million dollar Hollywood deal?
5.What dog name means "faithful" in Latin?
Tie-breaker #3. How many verses are there to the Greek National Anthem?

I walked very slowly to dinner as my back was hurting from all the bouncing about and hauling myself (sometimes with help) in and out of the van.

Only six for dinner as Heinz was feeling bad from his day in the sun.  I had steak and a delicious raspberry sorbet.  As I was leaving the dining room I put my key card on top of my iPad - a certain kiss of death for the card.  I went down to the Front Office and got a new one.

The show was Tre Bella (three female singers) but I was way too tired to go see the show.

We set our clocks ahead 30 minutes again tonight.


My view while waiting for the excursion




Some homes we passed


A stream with a sporting event field


Another home


A view of the new elementary school - when students reach 15 they are sent to boarding school in Tahiti


We saw many horses along the side of the road


Our vehicle (looks better than it rode!)







Above are some of the amazing views from the overlooks


A banana tree - can you spot the seed pod?


A very old banyan tree.  There is an 1872 picture of this tree showing it with human heads all over it (the dead were not buried but dried out)




Three pictures from the historic site



Two pictures from the rest stop which was right on a black sand beach


Trivia
1.walrus
2.Dominican Republic
3.Warsaw Pact
4.Charlie Chaplin (nobody believed me)
5.Fido
Tie-breaker. 158!

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment