Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Opunohu Bay, Moorea


April 23, 2016

I awoke around seven and the sky was a pretty blue with streaky clouds.  I rolled over went back to sleep and when I was ready to get up it was grey and threatening.  By the time I was ready to go ashore (just before ten), it was pouring rain (so what else is new?).

I sat in the Ocean Bar waiting for the weather to clear, which it did by 10:30.  So I headed down to the tender but I was stopped because I didn't have a number.  In all the tenders I have taken I have never needed a ticket 3 1/2 hours after tendering started.  Very strange.  I went back to get a ticket and it took about 45 minutes from the time I got my ticket until I actually got in the tender.

There wasn't much around the dock where the tender left us besides a church, some craft stalls and people selling tours.  I purchased a few things (better prices than the previous stops) while the rain started pouring again.  When it let up some I took the tender back.

Had a chef's salad for lunch and then took my purchases back to the cabin and uploaded my pictures.

Met Susie in the Crow's Nest for 3 pm trivia.  Shannon asked us to join her and three other people.  We won with 13 out of 17 but after the prizes (those amazing HAL pins) were awarded the artichokes complained that their paper had been checked incorrectly and they had 13 as well.  Mario (the CD) told them he asked everybody to check their papers when returned to them.

1.Which country occupied Ethiopia from 1935 to 1942?
2.Which two Greek city states fought each other in the Peloponnesian War?
3.Which tech toy was the first to come with a "click wheel"?
4.What were formerly known as the Sandwich Islands?

Susie and I went to Culinary Trivia and had 13 out of 17 but the winners had 15.  To make it clear, I knew one answer and guessed at two others - Susie knew the others.  We sailed away from Moorea as we were playing.

1.What term is used for the second in command under the Head Chef? (The one I knew!)
2.What is another name for Mahi Mahi?
3.What spice popular in stuffing used to be used for snake bites in Ancient Greece and Rome?

I then went to get a new key card.  Mine was taking about 20+ tries before it opened my door.  I then tried my new card in the slot machine and won back $6.01 of what I have lost.

Changed for dinner and went to Northern Lights to play 7 pm trivia.  Six of us played and we came in second with 8 correct (artichokes had 10).

1.What snack was once called "blister nut" because of the caustic fluid between the inner and outer shell?
2.What scientist was the first to win two Nobel prizes?
3.What fabric was advertised in 1939 as synthetic silk made of coal, air and water?
4.Which country in the Southern Hemisphere has the second largest number of Christians?

Five of us were present for dinner.  We were missing Alex and Karen who also were not present last night.  I had spare ribs and pineapple sorbet.

We lose a half hour tonight and I am trying for an early night.



The view of Moorea at 10 am


Local kids jumping in the water next to the pier




Local crafts for sale


A tiny church next to the water


A view from the pier


Yet another downpour


Kids and their iPhones - even in the middle of the Pacific











Above are views of the island taken in between rain storms

Afternoon trivia

1.Italy
2.Sparta and Athens
3.iPod
4.Hawaiian Islands

Culinary Trivia
1.sous chef
2.dolphin
3.sage

Evening trivia
1.cashews
2.Marie Curie
3.Nylon
4.Brazil

Smooth sailing until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment