Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Uturoa, Raiatea

April19, 2016

Once again I woke to rain splattering my window.  Since I had no place I had to be, I rolled over and went back to sleep.  A little before ten I started getting ready for the day.  By the time I was going to leave my cabin it was only drizzling so I decided against taking my raincoat.  It would be too hot in the muggy heat.

I walked around the town of Uturoa which is at the northern end of the island of Raiatea.  I found an ATM and got another 2000 xpf (French Polynesian Francs) worth a little less than US$20.  There were a number of vendors selling local crafts but I didn't find anything I had to have.

It drizzled most of the time and there was one downpour but there were plenty of places to get undercover so I got damp but not drenched.  I was glad I had not brought my coat because it was warm.

After lunch in the Lido I talked with the roll call member who had arranged our tour for tomorrow in Bora Bora.  The roll call tour for today (which I had not signed up for) was cancelled by the tour operator so she is trying to find out what our chances are for tomorrow.

Back to my cabin to change out of my damp clothes.  I decided to work with the pictures from today.  My iPad has no memory left to import pictures.  To my mind, if I delete 100 pictures I should be able to import about 100.  Not how it works however.  I deleted all my old videos (they are saved at home) and about 700 pictures.  Made enough space to add about 5 pictures. ???????

Decided to walk around deck 10 and get a few more pictures since it was not raining and the sky had brightened.  I thought we might actually see the Sun but I was overly optimistic and it quickly got very threatening looking.

Four pm and time for Culinary Trivia.  (Culinary Arts Center Host Leah told me that all the ship excursions for today had been cancelled.). Today's topic was General Food trivia.  There were three teams.  The winning team had 9 and the other two eight.  I actually knew the answers to six questions.

1.What is Bombay Duck?
2.What is tasseography?
3.What is the edible waste of butchered animals called?
4.What breakfast food's name comes from the German word for stirrup?
5.True or false?  2/3 of all eggplants are grown in New Jersey?

Read for awhile before getting ready for the evening.  We left a little early from port headed to Bora Bora.

Evening trivia had just the two of us playing with 11 correct and the winners (those pesky artichokes) had 12.

1.Napoleon was afraid of what animal?
2.Who placed the first telephone call to the moon?
3.What is the name for a group of hummingbirds?
4.What does the "K" on every bottle of Snapple stand for?
5.What color are emu eggs?

All seven present for dinner. I had some good beef loin and Heath Bar Crunch frozen yogurt.  I skipped the show because I have an early morning excursion tomorrow.


Crew drill


At the pier


Local market


Fresh fruits


Beautiful floral arrangements - about $10


More produce


One of the main streets (above and below)



Coke is everywhere!


A cute little girl enjoying the drizzle


Two of the huts the vendors use



A church (with a broken clock)


Local tour buses 


Terraced hillside


A beautiful home in the mountains


More homes


Looking out at some of the other islands


A beautiful view even without the sun


Saw quite a few of these






Local flora and fauna

Culinary trivia
1.dried salted fish
2.the art of reading tea leaves
3.offal
4.bagel
5.true

Evening trivia
1.cats
2.Nixon
3.charm
4.kosher
5.green

Smooth sailing until next time!

1 comment:

  1. So loving your blogs Kathy. Looks lovely but shame you didn't have lovely sunshine. You are keeping me going with your quiz questions. Great fun. Wish I wish with you.

    Love Pat

    ReplyDelete