Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Friday, April 1, 2016

San Diego

April 1, 2016

I have definitely caught up on my sleep - I slept twelve hours!  Had a lazy morning and then set out to get my bottle of wine around 11:30.  I had planned to just go to Ralph's (a grocery chain) but since it was across the street from the mall, I decided to have another look around.  The Macy's was probably the worst Macy's I have been in so I didn't find anything I wanted.  Visited Charming Charlie's (my favorite accessories store) and found a couple of things.

Since we are going out to a nice seafood restaurant tonight, I decided on a light lunch.  I bought a club wrap and a Coke at Ralph's and sat in their outdoor cafe to eat.  Then back inside to get my bottle of wine.  Let me say I know nothing about wine so picking out a bottle was a challenge.   I ended up picking something called "Red Velvet" which, according to the bottle,  "shows a heady nose of chocolate, deep rich blackberries, red fruits, and a creamy mocha finish."  I will report back after our wine tasting how it actually tastes.

I always get the grandkids T-shirts when I travel so I stopped by a souvenir store that I had seen yesterday but was too tired to go in.  Back to the hotel about 2:30.

At 5:45 I met two Cruise Critic friends and we shared a taxi to the restaurant. Twenty-six of our roll call members met at The Fish Market for dinner.  It was great to see some of my friends from my last HAL cruise as well as to meet some new friends from the roll call.  I had a delicious dinner of shrimp and scallops.  We returned to the hotel a little after 9 pm.


One of the antiques in the lobby


17th century sedan chair


An old building with a very modern one in the background



A mosaic obelisk at the entrance to the mall



Jessop's clock dates from 1907 
(It used to be in front of Jessop's and Sons Jewelry store)

Smooth sailing until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Great start, Kathi. I love the hotel, it's very different from most that we've stayed in. Will remember it for my next trip to San Diego.

    ReplyDelete