Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Hilo, Hawaii

April 9, 2016

I was sound asleep when two things happened -  there was unusual engine noise and my alarm went off!  It was 7:30 and we were just about at the pier.  Time to get up and get ready for my tour.

I had chosen Pele:  Goddess of Fire Volcano Exploration.  It was a 4 1/2 hour tour.  We met John, our driver and guide, on the pier at 8:30.  We first drove to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Company.  I discovered I like macadamia nuts (I didn't as a child).  We then drove to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park to see Kilauea Volcano which is supposed to be the home of Pele, the Goddess of Fire.  There are many traditional stories associated with her.  She is supposed to live in the Halema'uma'u Crater.  We stopped to look at this crater or caldera first.

We had some time to look through the Jagger Museum before driving to the Thurston Lava Tube.  I took a pass on going through this because it was down a steep incline and had a number of stairs before going through a rather dark, uneven tunnel.  I knew I could not do this in the 20 minutes we had so I sat in the rain forest and listened to the birds.

Our last stop was at the Visitor's Center before heading back to the ship through downtown Hilo.

We arrived back at the ship around 1:30.  I dropped things off in my cabin, picked up a new book (I brought ten with me) and headed to the Lido.  My chef salad was so good I decided to have one again.  I tried the red velvet cake for dessert but didn't like it so I got a piece of blueberry pie instead.

They seem to have fixed the Internet problem (we went 48 hours with either no connectivity or spotty reception) so I spent some time surfing the net and deleting over a hundred junk e-mails.

The ship has started having Culinary Trivia and crafts again but, so far, only on ports days (what's with that?).  Today's trivia was at 4pm so I decided to give it a try.  There were only two teams but we lost.  I was pleased however that I knew 5 of the 15 answers (remember, I don't cook - ever!).

1.True or False?  Baking powder can remain active indefinitely if stored in a cool, dry place.
2.What is the name of the tall, white had worn by chefs since the 1800s?
3.What is the dried version of the poblano chili?

It was then time to head up to the Crow's Nest for afternoon trivia.  It was happy hour, so the place was packed.  Susie and I played and got 16 out of 22 but the winners had 17.

1.What are the only two countries that have "X" in their name?
2.Which company invented the first air conditioner?
3.What do the letters in "NATO" stand for and when was it formed?

We set sail a little early at about 5:40.  I watched from my window as I was getting ready for dinner.

Back to the Crow's Nest for evening trivia.  Ann and Pat joined the team.  We had 13 out of 18 but the winners had 16.
1.What was the top grossing movie of the 1950s?
2.Which magazine was the first to sell a billion copies in 1974?
3. What is the longest river in Europe?
4. Name the three musicians who died in a plane crash in February 1959.
5.Only two muscles are not attached at both ends.  Name them.

After trivia I listened to "Adagio" the violin and piano duo before heading to dinner.  All present as usual.  I had the Prime Rib which was OK but not the best I have ever had.

Made it an early night again because I have another early morning (actually earlier than today!) tomorrow.


Smoke coming from the crater  (Above and below) 



Information about the crater


Signs like this were everywhere


An artist's view of Pele


Ohi'a lehua (native to Hawaii)


Queen Lilioukalani Japanese Gardens


Papaya trees





Culinary Trivia
1.False
2.toque
3.ancho

Afternoon Trivia
1.Luxembourg and Mexico
2.Carrier
3.North Atlantic Treaty Organization, 1949

Evening Trivia
1.The Ten Commandments
2. TV Guide
3.Volga
4.Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper (JP Richardson)
5.heart and tongue

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment