Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Thursday, April 14, 2016

At Sea (not on Fanning Island)

April 14, 2016

A little about Fanning Island...

Fanning Island (Tabuaeran) is one of the Line Islands and part of the Republic of Kiribati.  The island has a population under 2000 and no electricity and no running water.  At one time it was a station on the cable that ran between Canada and Australia and had cars and even an airfield.  Today it has little contact with the outside world as ships bring supplies only three or four times a year.  The handful of cruise ships that visit each year donate supplies as well.

I woke up a few minutes after 8 am and we were still moving.  Uh, oh, something's not right as our first tender was supposed to leave for Fanning Island at 8.  Just a few minutes later the captain came over the loud speaker.  When the announcements are piped into the cabins you know it is something important.  It was - the announcement that our stop was cancelled due to wind and sea conditions.

Since I had nothing I had to do I went back to sleep for an hour.  Then I got ready for sit and stitch.  The Crow's Nest was packed (lots of people with no plans because it was not supposed to be a sea day).  There were a few seats a little over from where we normally sit.  Stitchers came and went but there were a total of about eight.

At 11 there was a special trivia (no 1 pm one today).  We had 11 out of 16 but two teams tied with 13.

1.The black mamba is the most poisonous snake in the world.  True or false?
2.Why are M&Ms called that?
3.How many actors have played James Bond in official 007 movies (not spoofs)?
4.Is there an English word that rhymes with "Orange"?

Lunch at the Lido after trivia.  I had a delicious slice of pineapple pie (don't remember ever having it before) for dessert.  When the captain made his afternoon announcements he said all the of the items that had been donated for Fanning Island would be given to the Red Cross in our next port to be distributed there and, hopefully, they would be able to get some to Fanning.

My feet and ankles were horribly swollen last night so I decided some time in the pool was in order.  On my way to the pool I dropped off my excursion requests for our next two ports.  I spent 1:30-3:30 at the Sea View pool area and I was in the pool for about an hour and fifteen minutes.

I had a little bit of sewing to do after the pool because I had lost a hem.  Then I went to Windows class on "How Windows 10 can help you."  Learned how I can still run my old programs that I have on CD (glad I didn't toss them).  Did you know Windows 10 can run programs going all the way back to Windows 95?

The class let out at 5:30 and it was then time to get ready for the evening.

Evening trivia saw the artichokes winning again with 14 - we had 12.

1.What is the color of mourning in Muslim culture?
2.Which bird's feathers does superstition say should not be used in a house as decoration?
3.How many eyes does an earthworm have?
4.Who was the first to fly solo around the world?

All seven of us were present for dinner and, as usual, we were the last table to leave the dining room.  Everyone received a free glass of champagne from the captain due to missing today's port.

Went to the show which featured Bettine Clemen, a flautist.




Morning trivia
1.false (it is actually the fifth deadliest)
2.for Mars and Murrie
3.6 (Connery, Moore, Lazenby, Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig)
4.yes (sporange)

Evening trivia
1.white
2.peacock
3.none
4.Wylie Post

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment