Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

At Sea

April 26, 2016

The Internet was very slow last evening and my pictures would not upload so about midnight I gave up and went to bed thinking as tired and achy as I was, I would fall right off to sleep.  How wrong I was.  I tossed and turned and still could not fall asleep.  At one am I decided to see if I could finish my blog entries.  The Internet was zipping along (for a ship) and I was able to get both parts of entry up.  I then had time to look on Facebook and catch up a little on the world voyage blogs I am following,

At 2 I decided to try for sleep and this time fell asleep quickly.  Woke up about 10 and watched the morning show as I got ready.

About seven of us were at sit and stitch.  At 11:15 I left for the Mariner's Lunch.  The captain and the cruise director welcomed us.  The menu was almost identical to last year's with only a few different vegetables or garnishes.  I ate with four roll call members and a lady by herself.  The food was good and the service prompt.  HAL gives a ceramic tile for the Mariners.  I did not get one last year but now have one.  The tiles are designed by the famous maritime artist Stephen Card and are made by Royal Goedewaagen which has produced Delftware in Holland since 1610.

After lunch it was time to prepare for our Cabin Crawl.  The six cabin hosts were invited to Jacqui's suite to get the information for the cabin crawl and poker run.  About 35 people participated in the cabin crawl, touring in groups of 4 or 5.  It took about 45 minutes for all the groups to make it through my cabin.  We ended with a meeting in the Crow's Nest to determine the winner of the poker run.

It was about 3:30 when we finished so I went up to the Lido to read and have my afternoon ice cream.  Today's soft serve was raspberry.

Because of the cabin crawl I could not go to afternoon trivia so I was more than ready for evening trivia.  Four of us played and we lost to the artichokes in a tie-breaker.

1.What is the most popular breed of dog in the US?
2.What does the "C" in JC Penney stand for?
3.Who defended the Boston Strangler?
4.Who expected to be paid £2000 pounds for the surrender of West Point?
5.Which female group had the most top 20 hits?


Tonight was another Gala Night.  Once again most people were dressed nicely.  I had the filet mignon and fruit for dessert.  We had a hosted table again with one of the medical officers, Judy, and her husband Steve, a retired police officer.  They were a very nice couple.

For whatever reason, somebody thought it was a good idea to have the Officers' Black and White Gala in the Crow's Nest.  The place was packed and had to be at least 85F.  I only stayed a few minutes.  Last year it was held in the theater (Vista Lounge) and you could actually see the officers as well as having plenty of seats.


Mariner Lunch menu


Crab, Shrimp, and Avacado Timbale


Braised short ribs


Coconut creme brûlée 


The tile


Loads of people at the Black and White Gala


Couldn't really see much it was so crowded

Evening trivia
1.Labrador
2.Cash
3.F. Lee Bailey
4.Benedict Arnold
5.Supremes


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment