Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Pape'ete, Tahiti

April 22, 2016

I was up early (for me) as some roll call friends had asked if I wanted to do a half day tour with them.  They had booked with a company for tomorrow (when we were supposed to be here) and had not been able to get in touch with the tour operator to see if it could be changed.  Turns out that the tour operator had another booking but there were plenty of operators right by the dock offering three and four hour tours.

We decided on Aratari Safari and our guide was Terry.  He had just started his own business in January after working for another company for six years.  He was very personable and knowledgeable and his tour cost half what the ship was charging for the "Off the Beaten Track:  Tahiti by 4-wheel drive."  We ended up with eight people from our roll call and were very lucky about the weather.  Today was the first day in over a week that there was some sun (somebody even said they had gotten sunrise pictures) and some blue sky was showing at least half the day.  It was hot (about 87F and humidity had to be close to 100%).

We traveled to the Papenoo Valley in the interior of the island which was amazingly beautiful.  Numerous waterfalls (that never go dry) cascade down the volcanic hillsides and provide hydroelectric power for the island.  We stopped at many scenic overlooks of the river, the valley, and the mountain peaks as well as getting some beautiful ocean views.

This was not a tour for people with back problems because we bounced around most of the ride.  Through much of the valley the road is single-lane, pot holed, twisty, and has steep ascents and descents.  Although not the tour I likely would have picked sitting at home reading about it, I was very glad I did this because I saw a part of Tahiti that is really not what I think of when someone mentions Tahiti

We returned to town a little before two and I walked around and looked at the craft market by the ship.

Returned to the ship and stopped by the medical center.  Two days ago I had received a message on my phone from Connie, one of the nurses (and also the wife of the ship's Doctor).  She called me by name and said she was sorry they were so busy when I had stopped by and how was I doing.  Very strange as I had not been any place near the infirmary (when I get a sinus infection I know there is not much they can do for me so I'm not going to spend the money to go).  Last night I had another message from Connie.  My interest was piqued by that point so I decided to make a detour and see what it was all about.  Sure enough they had a paper with my name and cabin number and that they had not had a chance to examine me.  I assured Connie that although I had a nasty cough, I was fine otherwise and someone else must have stopped by.

Back to my cabin for a cool shower and change of clothes (all my nicely washed and pressed clothes are back).  I also decided since there was a lot on the agenda for tonight I was not going to eat in the MDR.  (As I type this it is 3:45 pm and I have not had breakfast or lunch so I will eat early).  The weather has changed dramatically and it is totally overcast and has been raining (again!).

Up to the Crow's Nest a little after 4.  Sat with Pat while waiting for 5:00 trivia.  I tried the drink of the day "Beachcomber's Gold" (light and dark rums, honey, passion fruit, lime cordial and a dash of Angostura bitters).  Ann, Pat, Susie and I played and won with 15 1/2 out of 22.  We now have another Pacific pin.

1.Your forehead is on top of which bone?
2.How old was Marilyn Monroe when she died?
3.How many symphonies did Beethoven write?
4.About how many minutes does it take for sunlight to reach the Earth?

At six two of our roll call members had a "Renewal of Vows" ceremony.  It was supposed to be near the Sea View Pool but the deck was very wet so it was in the Crow's Nest.  Kainoa officiated.

7:00 was evening trivia.  We had a full team with Dot, Sherita, Pat, Susie, Louis, and me. We only had 8 and the artichokes won with 10.

1.What is a rhino's horn made of?
2.Who was Time's Man of the Year in 1939 and 1942?
3.What is the most common name in nursery rhymes?
4.Who was the voice of E.T.?

Name That Tune in the Crow's Nest at 8:00.  Susie left us to go out and try the food trucks so I played with four others.  The topic was "Weather".  We tied with another team with 8 but had more of the artists so we won (actually Shannon knew most of the answers - I knew two).

There was a special performance by "Tamariki Poerani", a local Polynesian group at 9:30.  I knew that I needed to get to the Vista Lounge early if I was to get a seat so as soon as trivia was over I left to get a seat.  I arrived at 8:40 and the theater was already 3/4 full.  The show was good.

After all this coming and going, I had never had time for anything to eat other than a couple of appetizers during Happy Hour so I ordered room service.  I got a club sandwich and a piece of cake both of which were good.


A view of the coast 


A beautiful home on the hillside 


Wild chickens at the lookout point




Above are just three of the many waterfalls we saw


A tropical chestnut tree


Terry telling us about the wild hibiscus (our plates at the motu on Bora Bora were made from the leaves of the wild hibiscus)


Terry showing the seed and flower of the tropical chestnut tree


Part of the river that runs across the road


Feature that is known as "The Lion's Head" (although it looked more like a sheep head to me)


Driving across part of the dam


The caldera of the ancient volcano


A part of the river where you could go swimming


The 4x4 we rode in


Kainoa officiating at the Vow Renewal







Pictures from the show


Afternoon Trivia
1.frontal
2.36
3.9
4.8

Evening trivia
1.hair
2.Stalin
3.Jack
4.Debra Winger

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment