Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Friday, May 6, 2016

Vancouver, Canada

May 6, 2016

So much for getting to bed early.  I got hooked watching the end of Apollo 13 (every time I'm flipping channels and run across it, I have to watch the rest of it), then the news, then the start of The Tonight Show.  Finally turned off the TV at midnight but sleep was not at hand.  I just couldn't get comfortable because my lower back and hips were aching.  I don't think I actually walked that far but I had on shoes with little cushioning or support.  Fell asleep sometime after 12:40.

Woke up at 3 am and was wide awake.  I got up and surfed the Internet.  I paid bills, checked out the excursions I wanted to take in Alaska and then (finally) booked an airport hotel for the night before I fly home.  I splurged and decided on the Fairmont which is right in the airport.  That way I don't have to get a shuttle at 3:30 in the morning from one of the other hotels that are near the airport.  Finally got back to sleep at 5 am and slept until 10:45.

My plan had been to spend today in Gastown, the oldest section of town.  We had driven through it last year on the excursion I was on and it looked like an interesting area to walk around and spend the day.  I had checked it out yesterday and found it was about 1km (.62 miles) from my hotel which was in my walking range.  After the aches of yesterday, though, I had decided to take a taxi but when I left the hotel it was such a beautiful day I decided to try walking (I had on my good, supportive Birkenstocks).  Mapquest had said it was a 12 minute walk and I made it in 20 (not bad for me!).

Gastown is an area with an interesting mixture of shops, bars, restaurants, business offices, apartments, and art galleries.  They also have numerous benches where I could rest and people watch.  (For the Pacific Pearls Trivia team - I was sitting watching the world go by and guess who comes out of the store in front of me?  None other than the last remaining artichoke!  Small world!)

After checking out the stores on Water Street, I turned around after snapping a few pictures of "Gassy Jack".  I decided to have lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory.  They had all kinds of interesting old pieces inside including an old Gastown trolley car which was where I ate my lunch.  I had a good meal of a salad, manicotti and a Coke.

Started walking back towards Canada Place stopping in the various stores and picking up some souvenirs.  A group of us who had cruised together last year had agreed to meet at Mahony and Sons at 5 for dinner.  I arrived about 4:45 (first one there) and was able to be seated.  Everyone else got there about 5.  Friday night at a bar - very noisy.  We had a hard time being heard even when talking to the person next to you.  I had fish and chips and a Guinness.

After we ate we went to the Pan Pacific Hotel and had drinks as we watched the cruise ships depart.  We stayed until almost 9 pm.  It was getting dark then so I took a taxi back to the hotel.

I don't ache anything like last night so I have decided it must have been the shoes as I walked much more today than yesterday.


The Canadian Pacific Railway Station - just over 100 years old


About the station


Part of the interior


Mosaic on the pavement


The Gastown Steam Clock


About the clock


A little history of Gastown


The statue of "Gassy Jack"


About "Gassy Jack"


Also on the base of the statue


Beautiful stained glass inside the restaurant


The old trolley car where I ate


Front of the trolley


Where the numerous seaplanes load and unload


Mahony and Sons


Our group

Smooth sailing until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Kathi

    So glad you have had a good time in my town! The Old Spaghetti Factory was the perfect place for your lunch, too. Glad you enjoyed it and Gastown. The airport Fairmont is a lovely hotel. If you are on the south side (no mountain view) you can see the new Brit Air double-decker land around 6:40 pm and depart around 8:40 pm.

    Enjoy Alaska!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kathi

    So glad you have had a good time in my town! The Old Spaghetti Factory was the perfect place for your lunch, too. Glad you enjoyed it and Gastown. The airport Fairmont is a lovely hotel. If you are on the south side (no mountain view) you can see the new Brit Air double-decker land around 6:40 pm and depart around 8:40 pm.

    Enjoy Alaska!!

    ReplyDelete