Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Vancouver, Canada

May 5, 2016

Pulled the curtains open a little before six to a beautiful sky and mountains in the distance.  When I finally got up at 9:00 the beautiful snow capped peaks of British Columbia were visible outside my window.

After getting ready and throwing a few last minute items in my carry-on, I went up to deck 10 to watch us sail in (under the Lions Gate Bridge) to Vancouver.  I had a muffin and orange juice because for the first time in 33 days I didn't know where my next meal was coming from!

We were just backing in to Canada Place when I went out to the Seaview Pool (which had been emptied) to get a few pictures.  Walking through by the Lido pool, I saw Esther and Heinz and got to speak to them and hug them good-bye one last time.

When I returned to my cabin the sheets were already being changed.  My room steward had put my few things aside so I grabbed them and went to sit in the Queen's Lounge until my group was called.

Disembarking was fast with the only hitch being that the luggage carts were hidden on the other side of the terminal from the luggage.  As I went to get one I was struck by a cart that had gotten away from an employee who was trying to push two.  No broken skin and it doesn't look like there will even be a bruise.  Immigration was nothing more than handing in the declaration form - no need to even see a passport.

The slow down came at the queue to get taxis.  Since I was in the last group to depart the ship, there were lots of people ahead of me.  It took about 25 minutes to get a taxi and then a five minute ride to the hotel (Metropolitan).  I checked in and then spent about an hour enjoying high-speed internet.

One of the things I found out on the Internet was that I was right across the street from a shopping center - the CF Pacific Centre.  I walked around it (lots of high end stores) and then walked down the street to find some place for a late lunch.  I ended up eating at Tim Horton's for the first (and likely the last) time.  I had a sandwich that was ok and a donut that was really good (the donut came with the sandwich meal???) but it wasn't quite what I was expecting.  First of all, I was about three decades older than anyone else and second, I was the only person in the place not glued to an electronic device (they have free wi-fi).  The coffee must be good, however, because everyone but me was drinking it!

Back to the hotel and some more quality time on the Internet.  I decided to have dinner in the food court at Pacific Centre and ended up having a hot dog (can't remember the last time I had one) and fries.  Returned back to the hotel about 8:15.

Although I can stay up late tonight, I don't think I will make it.






Sailing into Vancouver


Passing Stanley Park


Arriving at Canada Place


The Vancouver Block Building


Vancouver Art Gallery


As I was heading to dinner lots of flashing lights passed me.  Must have been filming a movie or TV show




Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment