Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Sunday, May 8, 2016

At Sea

May 8, 2016

Had a lazy morning.  I would wake up and look out at the sea then fall back asleep.  I did this from about 8am until I finally got out of the bed about 9:45.

Our Cruise Critic roll call did not attract too many people so we had an informal meet and greet in the Piano Bar.  We did get 12 people attending and we sat and talked for about an hour.

The Nieuw Amsterdam has a made-to-order pizza place by the Seaview Pool called "New York Pizza"  I decided to try it for lunch.  The pizza was OK and I guess if you liked your pizza piled with all kinds of add-ons, it would be ideal.  For me, I liked the standard 4-cheese pizza on the Westerdam better.

Speaking of the two ships, I have found they are very much alike.  Most venues are in the same location on both ships.  Some of the differences include:
Nieuw Amsterdam carries about 200 more people with extra cabins on decks 10 and 11
The Crow's Nest on Nieuw Amsterdam is on deck 11 (10 on Westerdam)
No "Chocolate Seduction" on Nieuw Amsterdam with the "Screening Room" taking up some of the space
Nieuw Amsterdam has fixed dining on 3 and anytime on 2 (Westerdam has them mixed on both decks)
The stewards in the Lido on Nieuw Amsterdam wear khakis, a white shirt, and a black and white apron instead of the standard HAL uniform
The Windows 10 Workshops are on different decks


When I returned to my cabin after lunch I had a note to come by the front office because of a problem with my credit card.  Turns out I had forgotten to change the numbers when Bank of America issued me a new card after a security breach.

With that settled, armed with the blankets I had picked up on the Lido deck, I sat out on the balcony and watched the sea for about an hour.

At 3 pm I went to the Crow's Nest to snag a seat for trivia.  Five of us from last year's "Sail-Away Gang" played.  We had 11 out of 15 but the winning team had 13.

1.Which was the first of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World to be built.
2.Ounce for ounce which fruit has the most Vitamin C?
3.Who was the top selling individual artist of the 1970s?
4.What is the world's highest mountain that is not part of a chain?
5.What was Snow White's coffin made of?

After trivia I read for awhile and then got ready for Gala Night and evening trivia.  I played with two of the people from last night.  We won with 15 of 17.  I won my first Alaska pin.

1.What organization elects the 15 judges of the World Court?
2.Outside of Antarctica, in what country has the lowest temperature been recorded?
3.What is the point value of "Q" in Scrabble?
4.Eric Weiss died on Halloween 1926.  By what name is he better known?
5.What nation won the first World Cup?
6.In the 1890s what was suggested as a safe alternative to morphine? (I have now missed this question twice!)

The other couple showed up at dinner tonight (they ate in the Pinnacle Grill last night) and we were hosted by the head of housekeeping, Herman.  I had shrimp cocktail, beef tenderloin, and lemon meringue cheesecake.

I went to the show which was called Marquee.  It was OK.

We gain an hour tonight going on Alaskan time.

Some scenes from around the ship.













I didn't think these were supposed to be left out (sometimes there are two of them - one charging on each side of the elevators)






Afternoon trivia
1.the pyramids
2.kiwi
3.Elton John
4.Kilimanjaro
5.glass

Evening trivia
1.United Nations
2.Russia
3.10
4.Houdini
5.Uraguay
6.Heroin

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment