Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Vancouver, Canada

May 14, 2016

My scheduled disembarkation time was 9:30 so I had set the alarm for 8:30.  I awoke before this because the expedited (people who carry their own luggage off) disembarkation started at 7:45.  Although we had docked by 7 am, it took time to complete the formalities.

I vacated my cabin about 8:15 and went to the Lido to get juice and a couple of slices of bread.  My color luggage tags were called at 9:20.  It took until 10 to get off the ship, get my luggage and get to street level.  Last week when I came in I got a taxi on the same level as I left the ship but today I had to get an elevator to the street and get in a massive queue for a taxi.  It took one hour and twenty five minutes from the time I got in line until I got in the taxi.

The taxi ride took about 25 minutes and cost $34.40.  Surprisingly enough since I am staying in an upscale hotel, there was no one to take my luggage at the door.  My driver took pity on me (and I'm sure the nice tip didn't hurt) and helped me with the luggage all the way to the front desk on the fourth floor.

Checked in quickly, I had already paid on-line, and had a bell hop bring up the bags (I had wrestled with them enough today).

About 12:45 I was hungry and decided to find the United check-in area (so I don't have to drag my suitcases around at 3:30 in the morning) and figure out what to do with the rest of the day.

I ended up doing what I thought I would do last week - take the skytrain back to the city center.  The ride took about half an hour and left me off at the same Canadian Pacific Railway station I had seen last week.

I walked towards Canada Place and ended up getting a taco salad at a food court across the street.  About 3:15 I found a nice place to sit in the sun at Canada Place and look at the ships.  Watched Nieuw Amsterdam having her muster drill. I was astounded by the number of people who did not return to their cabins when instructed but stayed out on the Promenade deck.

There were three ships in today - the Star Princess, the Coral Princess, and the Nieuw Amsterdam (which helped to create the taxi chaos this morning with about 7100 passengers disembarking).  The two Princesses were supposed to leave at 4:30 and Nieuw Amsterdam at 5:00.  They were all late.  Coral Princess left about 5:50 and Nieuw Amsterdam just about 6:00.  I stayed to watch her backing out and then left for the train.

I arrived back at the airport at 6:45.  My original plan was to eat in the food court in the airport and use the free wi-fi (the hotel charges) but I was tired and it was getting late (needed to go to bed at 9 to hopefully get 6 hours of sleep).  Instead I got Wendy's to go.  The last time I ate at Wendy's was in Singapore back in 2014 - not my favorite place but it tasted OK.

Ready for bed (after I figured out the really strange shower) and it is just a few minutes after 9.


People at muster station when they are supposed to be in their cabins


Nieuw Amsterdam backing out


The skytrain



Not sure what this is (in front of airport)


Totem poles and a restful garden in front of airport


Artwork in airport


View from my room - overlooked runway but very quiet



Smooth sailing until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing a wonderful journey! I love the trivia questions - now to remember the answers for next time I cruise.
    Hope I find your next world cruise blog when the time comes

    Safe travels
    Michele

    ReplyDelete