Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Embarkation Day

No problem sleeping last night and the hotel had the softest sheets I have ever felt.  The pillows were not my favorite but I am a picky pillow person!  I woke up around 8:45, checked out the Internet and then got ready for the day.

I called for a bellhop at 10 and was downstairs, checked out and in the cab by 10:15.  It was only a five minute ride to the terminal.  The security line took about 20 minutes and the immigration line took another 20 but we were constantly moving.  Check-in for the cruise took 3 minutes - I walked up and was immediately sent to one of the approximately 15 reps (Really puts San Diego to shame).  No boarding numbers but we were seated in order of check in.  I was seated by 11:05.

I Listened to conversations of people around me.  Some have no idea where their cabin is on the ship and some don't even know what type of cabin they have!

Boarding started at 11:30 with those needing assistance (wheelchairs, walkers, canes, scooters, etc.). Then the 4 and 5 star Mariners, and then the rest of us.  My group was let on at 11:50 and I was in my cabin by noon.

Dropped off my tote and headed for the Lido before it got crowded.  I had a salad, fruit and a BLT (one of the few sandwiches that they don't load with stuff I don't like).  Investigated the ship and took pictures.  The layout is almost exactly like the Westerdam except there are cabins and private cabanas on deck 10 and the Crow's Nest and library are on 11.

Bumped into some Cruise Critic friends and found that one of the couples had been upgraded at check-in which does not happen often.  They had booked an ocean view and were upgraded to a balcony.

I tried to sit on my balcony while filling out the form for excursions but it was too hot in the sun!

After deciding on my excursions I took the form down to deck 1, turned it in and then continued my exploration of the ship (and picked up my afternoon ice cream).  Seven of us had booked Le Cirque and I went by the Pinnacle Grill to link our reservations.  After taking a few more pictures I returned to my cabin to await the Muster Drill.  The sun was no longer shining directly on my balcony so it was perfect to sit and watch the people walking by at Canada Place.  I have really missed not having a balcony and I plan to make use of this one even if I have to wrap myself in numerous blankets!

The cost of Internet is ridiculous!  The unlimited plan is $249 for the seven days.  On the Westerdam it was $299 (or $199 if you did not want to Skype or stream) for 30-35 days.  I purchased the 400 minutes plan for $159 (which happens to be the same amount I ended up paying on Westerdam after getting a credit of $40 because of the poor service).  400 minutes gives me almost an hour a day that will, hopefully, at least be enough for getting my blog and pictures uploaded.

All aboard was at 3pm and muster drill at four.  This ship does not have the key card scanners like Westerdam so all the cabin numbers had to be called.  Why is that people who speak a language other than the one being used for announcements think it is OK to talk.  I was between two groups that were both doing this so I could hardly hear.  We needed Captain van Eerten and his, "Silence on Deck!"

After the muster drill the seven Cruise Critic friends met in one of their suites and had a sail-away party with wine (I had a Coke) and chocolate.

7 pm is ___ time.  If you filled in the blank with "trivia" you have been paying attention the last month!  I played with three other people and we came in second with 11 out of 17 (winners had 13).  There were three questions that were repeats of ones from last cruise (which I remembered!).

1.What is Cuba's main agricultural export?
2.What is the poorest country in South America despite having a great deal of oil?
3.What was the first sport in which women were allowed to compete in the Olympics?
4.What was the name of Danny's gang in "Grease"?
5.Which group had the most #1 hits in the 70s?
6.The six official languages of the UN are English, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, French, and ___?
7.What country has the flag that has gone the longest without being altered?
(I gave you a few extra since it has been so long since the last trivia?)

Listened to Adagio before heading to dinner.  I am at a table for 8 but there were only 4 of us tonight - a couple from Portland, a gentleman from British Columbia, and me.

The show was the "Welcome Aboard" one which usually includes some introductions of various people on board, something from the singers and dancers, etc.  This one was about 15 minutes of the Cruise Director, Hamish (who is from Jamaica) and then one of the performers, Randy Cabral.  Disappointing show.

After I finish posting this I am going to bundle up (it is in the 50s and breezy) and sit on my balcony for awhile before bed.


My cabin


Comfy chair with ottoman on the balcony


Lido pool


Seaview pool


A cabana available for rental


Part of the library


Showroom at Sea


Lion's Gate Bridge


View leaving Vancouver


Hamish the Cruise Director

Trivia
1.sugar
2.Bolivia
3.tennis
4.T-birds
5.Bee Gees
6.Arabic
7.Denmark

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment