Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Cruising Glacier Bay

May 11, 2016

I woke up this morning with a very strange feeling - I was hungry!  I never wake up hungry but was today so I went to breakfast.  I had some bacon, fruit, and a muffin.

Most of the day was spent walking around the ship or sitting on my balcony and looking at the beauty of Glacier Bay.  The day was spectacular with the sky very blue and the temperature about 60.  I did go to hear the Park Ranger, Heidi, talk about the bay and then Alice (a Native American, only I think the P.C. name has gone back to Indian) talk about the Tlingits, the natives to this area.

I was able to see some small pieces calving (breaking off the glacier) with a bang that sounded like thunder or a gun.  There were lots of pieces of ice floating in the water.  I saw a whale, an otter, and a puffin although I did not get pictures of any of them.

I finally was able to get all of yesterday's post up and then got ready for dinner.

Played trivia with the Cruise Critic group.  We thought we were doing very badly but won with 15 out of 17.

1.What are the two colors most often confused by people who are color blind?
2.In what language was the Communist Manifesto written?
3.Which Shakespeare character said, "A horse!  A horse! My kingdom for a horse!"?
4.Into what body of water does the Rhone River empty?
5.Which country introduced the first postage stamp?
6.What explosive cosmic event was seen in 1987 for the first time in over 383 years?

All six present for Gala Night.  Herman, the Head of Housekeeping, came back and hosted our table again.  I had surf and turf and cheesecake.

The show was called "On Tour" featuring the Nieuw Amsterdam Singers and Dancers.  It was pretty good.


Ice floating around the ship


part of the Margerie Glacier


The other part







Views of Glacier Bay


Evening trivia
1.red and green
2.German
3.Richard III
4.Mediterranean
5.England
6.super nova


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment