Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Going home

May 15, 2016

I fell right asleep last night at 9:15.  Starting about 1am I woke up about every 20 minutes to check the clock.  Finally got up at 3:04.  Shortly after 3:30 I took my first suitcase to the elevator and then went back for the second.  In the lobby I was able to get an airport trolley to put them both on.

Checked out and went to United to get boarding passes.  I don't really understand why but you had to take your luggage to another location where luggage for all airlines was collected.  I first thought you had to keep your bags until you went through customs and immigration but was sent back to a massive conveyor belt to drop my bags.

Considering the early hour I was surprised to find so many people ahead of me in line to go through security and then customs and immigration.  Although it is nice to be able to get through the process at the start (rather than once you are physically back in the US), CBP did not open until 4:30 which caused a back up.  It wasn't as bad as it could have been because there were lots of machines that scanned your passport, took your picture, asked you a couple of questions, and then produced a piece of paper the size of a boarding pass that you turned in to the officer (when you finally got to him).

The airport was still fairly empty as I walked to my gate.  For some reason I am always get the gate farthest from the entrance.  I stopped on the way and got an orange juice and used the free wifi to post yesterday's blog entry.

Boarding started just before 5:55 and we pulled back from the gate at 6:30 as advertised.  I dozed for most of the first two hours except for a few minutes for breakfast.  After a bathroom break I fell asleep again!

We landed 40 minutes early but had to wait around ten minutes because the previous plane had not left the gate.  I had to change concourses but this time both of my gates were not far from the tunnel connecting the concourses.

Boarding was about ten minutes late but went quickly since it was a smaller plane.  We sat on the field waiting our turn but the total flying time was only an hour and fifteen minutes so we landed on time.

Carolyn and Gary were waiting for me in the airport so I had help getting my bags off the carousel.  We went out to eat before going to their house for me to pick up my car.  I got home about 8.

May 17

A few afterthoughts...

As usual, I had a wonderful time and continue to love cruising.

I was especially lucky to have been placed at dinner tables with interesting and fun people.  We had lots of laughs and were often the last to leave the dining room.

Once again I will recommend being a member of Cruise Critic and joining a roll call for your cruise.  "Knowing" people before even getting on the ship makes cruising even more enjoyable.

Alaska has some of the most exceptional scenery I have ever witnessed (although there is no way I could live there).  If you are considering a visit, I would suggest you do so.

Finally, I would like to thank those of you who have been following along with my travels.  Hopefully, I didn't bore you too badly!   For those who left messages, please know I read and appreciated them all.

I always hate writing the last entry which is why this is so late.  So, one more time....

Smooth sailing until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathi-glad you're home safe and sound and that you enjoyed Alaska. Send me an email and I will send you several photos from Patrick's motu and other venues. And you won't believe this but Loren and I found a vacation package to Rarotonga so we'll see the island in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathi-i just finished reading your blog. Loved reading all the Trivia questions (need to remember the answers) and the pictures were great. Hope to meet you again on another cruise in the future. I'm on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October going to the Caribbean with my son (this is the cruise I won at Bingo). Stay well and Happy Cruising.

      Delete