Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here
Where is M/S Nieuw Amsterdam now? click here

Sunday, February 14, 2016

A Little Background

No, this blog is not about old movies (although I did enjoy both of the ones used in the title) but about the places I will be going on two different cruises.

When I was on the Westerdam in April of 2015, I decided to buy a future cruise credit.  When I talked with the future cruise consultant onboard, she asked if I had any specific cruise in mind.  I had been looking through the cruise atlas and found a great cruise to Hawaii (loved my first time there in 2014) and French Polynesia.  Some of my Cruise Critic friends had been talking about it and a few were already booked.  Alex, the consultant, mentioned that HAL had a promotion on which gave $400 onboard credit which would be added to the $100 I received for booking onboard.  I had until the beginning of December to change my mind so I went ahead and booked.  It took me about a month to decide that I could get the finances together and that I really wanted to do this cruise.

A few people who I met while onboard were going on to do an Alaska cruise when ours finished.  I got to thinking that was what I should do after the South Pacific cruise.  I wanted to go to Alaska but knew I did not want to fly across country just for a week cruise.  So in July I booked a cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam (another Holland America ship) for a week cruise out of Vancouver to Alaska.

At the time I booked, HAL was offering a promotion with a drink package as well as a meal in one of the specialty restaurants.  In January, however, the prices went down and HAL was offering a balcony cabin for the price of an ocean view (which is what I book on HAL due to the single supplement).  So, the question was to keep my ocean view with drink package and dinner or change to a balcony with a $100 onboard credit and a price that was $112 less than my original booking.

For those of you who know me, I am not a big drinker so the decision was an easy one.  I took the balcony and the $112 saved plus the OBC will easily cover my bar bill with likely $150 left over!  I do love a balcony especially in the evening before I go to bed.  It doesn't even matter if it is cold outside - I like to spend a few minutes on my balcony looking at the stars and the sea and hearing the water.

So, the plan is I will fly to San Diego on March 31, leaving Richmond at the ghastly hour of 6:25 am!  I will spend two nights at the Horton Grand Hotel before boarding the Westerdam on April 2. Then beautiful, tropical cruising for 33 days ending in Vancouver.  I have two nights at the Metropolitan Hotel in Vancouver and will board the Nieuw Amsterdam on May 7 for a week.  Since most of the flights leave early in the morning or late in the afternoon (meaning you fly and change planes throughout the night), I will stay one more night in an airport hotel (haven't made the reservation yet) before flying home on the morning of May 15 at the equally ghastly hour of 6:30 am.

In my next post I will give the itineraries and the maps for these two cruises.

Smooth sailing until next time!

5 comments:

  1. Kathi, you know I will following every post to your blog avidly and with envy! Have a wonderful cruise and see you in May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to cruising (and blogging too) with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Fairmont Vancouver Airport is a lovely, very modern hotel. You can't go wrong with it. We like the north facing rooms to view the runways (no noise) and the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion and for reading the blog!

      Delete
  4. The Fairmont Vancouver Airport is a lovely, very modern hotel. You can't go wrong with it. We like the north facing rooms to view the runways (no noise) and the mountains.

    ReplyDelete